We are returning to the Berkeley Public Library virtually!
Our upcoming seminar will be October 20, 2020 from 5:30 – 7 PM
Here are our speakers:
Justin Ondry (Chemistry): “Seeing Atoms Using an Electron Microscope”
Sarina Patel (Earth and Planetary Science): “Earthquake Warnings, Predictions, and Forecasts – A Status Update of What’s Possible”
(Credit picture 1: Wired; Credit picture 2: Get Connected)
Are you interested in learning more about the speakers’ topics? Here are the resources they recommended!
1) Electron microscopy for the biosciences
2) Electron microscopy in materials science
3) A history of electrons microscopes (from a manufacturer’s point of view)
4) An electron microscope interactive tutorial
Learning about earthquakes:
1) Download the MyShake app (which delivers early warning in CA too!)
2) Reading about the Haywired Scenario, which depicts a possible outcome of a major earthquake on the Hayward Fault in the East Bay
3) Look through the UCERF3 earthquake forecast for California.
4) To prepare your family and your home for an earthquake, you can review the Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety